Session 4: Paid FMLA - Getting Paid and Employee Benefits
Time & Location
About the Event
As a practical matter, employers and the Paid FMLA Authority will be working together on the issue of pay with the new law. Connecticut has hired AFLAC as the Authority’s pay administrator and it’s clear that getting information from employers through the state will be part of the “Should this employee be paid?” issue. In this session, you will learn how to address employee questions on the Who? How? How Much? and When? of the payment process. We’ll cover STD benefits and state FMLA pay, what to do about group health coverage and other benefits when and employee goes out on leave, as well as the issues of holiday pay and bonuses.
You will learn:
· State of Readiness: The Paid Leave Authority’s outreach;
· AFLAC’s Role in Paid Leave Administration;
· The Critical Distinction Between Time and Money in the Paid Leave Law;
· Basic Knowledge: Knowing the pay formula;
· Pay Variations, Bonuses, Severance, Holiday Pay, PTO;
· Why “Regular Pay” Does Not Mean What Employees and Employers Think It Means;
· Short Term Disability Plans: The “double dipping” issue;
· AFLAC Calling: What information you should anticipate you’ll be asked for;
· What You’ll Know or Not Know About Employee’s Being Paid or Denied Payment From the Paid Leave Authority;
· Qualified for Pay/Not Qualified for Leave: How paid leave will work with the ineligible-for-leave employee.
Andrea Barton Reeves.
Connecticut Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance Authority.
- Session 4$125$1250$0