Tue, Jun 14|
Executive Briefing - Marijuana Goes Legal July 1st / What Employers Need to Know.
Time & Location
Jun 14, 2022, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM EDT
About the Event
On July 1, 2022, the workplace provisions of Connecticut’s new legal marijuana law, Responsible and Equitable Regulation of Adult-Use Cannabis (Section 98), take effect. For employers who are concerned about keeping their workplaces drug free, there is an opportunity which will be lost if not acted upon before that all important July 1st date.
As important, this law will also impose new rules concerning an employer’s pre-employment testing for marijuana, fitness for duty tests, and available defenses for employers when employees or applicants sue for violations.
For all employers, it will be important to review or put in place policies to better address obligations that go into place on July 1st.
In this special two-hour Executive Briefing, you will learn:
- What Section 98 of the Connecticut Drug law says to employers about what they can and cannot do with legalized marijuana;
- How the law divides employers and jobs into “exempt” or “non-exempt” and what that means to your workplace;
- Keeping your Workplace Drug Free by through a “No Drug Use ON or OFF the Job” Policy - Pros and Cons;
- What a “No Drug Use ON or Off the Job Policy” Should Say;
- Off-the-Job Drug Use: How will You Know? What Do You Do?
- Drug Testing: What the law says about pre-employment testing, fitness for duty testing and your test requirements under the DOT regs;
- How the ADA is changed by marijuana legalization; Rehab and the FMLA.
- Getting Sued: The New Employer Defenses to Employee Lawsuits: What “good faith” means;
- A Look at the Employee-Workplace Problems with Legalization, including:
- Marijuana in the Employee’s Car in the Company Lot-is it possession at work?
- Rejecting the Applicant who Failed the Drug Test-what you need to know and what you need to avoid.
- “Our employee smells like Marijuana”: Is it enough to act?
- Marijuana Edible Form: Why Workplace Search Policies are critical
- Employee’s Drug Use Prior to July 1, 2022-What are the Implications?
Link to Seminar will be provided the day before.